Chilindrina is a delicious and flavorful Mexican dish that is loved by many for its spicy and tangy taste. This street food snack is made with fried wheat tortillas known as chicharrones topped with fresh vegetables, herbs, meat, and creamy sauces. In this article, we will learn how to make this iconic street food at home and enjoy its authentic Mexican zing.
Chilindrina is believed to have originated in the markets and streets of Puebla, Mexico. The base is made of chicharrones which are wheat tortilla chips that have been fried until crispy. These are then topped with fresh and pickled ingredients like onions, cilantro, cabbage, avocado, queso fresco, jalapenos, and protein options like shredded chicken, beef, or pork. The combination of crispy chicharrones, creamy sauces, tangy vegetables, and spiced meat makes this snack irresistible.
See Previous Article: Burger King Drinks Menu
This street food is customizable, affordable, and easy to make. It is the perfect snack or light meal when you want to experience authentic Mexican flavors. The crispy base coupled with the fresh and tangy toppings is an explosion of textures and flavors in your mouth.
Ingredients for Chilindrina Food Recipe:
- 10-12 chicharrones (fried wheat tortilla chips)
- 1 cup shredded chicken or diced grilled steak
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced or diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1/4 cup queso fresco or cotija cheese
- Lime wedges
- Valentina or other hot sauce
- Mayonnaise or Mexican crema
How to Make Chilindrina Food Recipe:
- If using uncooked chicken, cook the chicken breasts until shredded and set aside. If using steak, grill or pan-fry diced steak until cooked through.
- Combine the shredded cabbage, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, and jalapeno in a mixing bowl. Squeeze some lime juice and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread a layer of mayonnaise or crema on each chicharron. Top with the vegetable slaw.
- Add the shredded chicken or steak.
- Garnish with avocado slices, queso fresco, Valentina hot sauce, and extra lime wedges.
- Serve immediately and enjoy! The combination of hot, creamy, crunchy, and tangy flavors is incredible.
Tips and Variations
- Play around with different protein options like grilled shrimp, carnitas, or chorizo
- Use both green and red cabbage for a pop of color
- Add pickled jalapenos for more tang
- Drizzle with Mexican crema instead of mayo
- Swap in jicama, cucumbers, or radish for crunch
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and green onion
- Serve with lime wedges for extra squirt of juice
- Accompany with Mexican rice and beans
Video Guide to Make the Recipe: WATCH VIDEO GUIDE
FAQs of Chilindrina Food Recipe
What are some other serving options for Chilindrina
You can serve Chilindrinas in tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos, tostadas, and more. They make a flavorful taco or burrito filling. Chilindrina also works well as a nacho topping or a filling for quesadillas.
What cut of beef or pork to use for Chilindrina
Lean cuts of beef or pork work best for Chilindrinas. Good options include pork loin, pork chops, flank steak, skirt steak, or sirloin steak. The leaner cuts will cook up tender and flavorful.
What are Chilindrinas made of
Chilindrinas are made with a base of fried wheat tortilla chips known as chicharrones. These are then topped with a mixture of fresh vegetables like cabbage, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and jalapenos. It’s also typically topped with a protein like shredded chicken, steak, or carnitas. Creamy sauces like crema Mexicana or mayonnaise are drizzled on top along with queso fresco.
What are Mexican pinwheel chips made of
Mexican pinwheel chips, also called chicharrones de harina, are made of wheat flour tortillas that are cut into spiral shapes and then deep fried until crispy. This gives them their signature pinwheel look.
Why do Mexican chips taste better
There are a few reasons why Mexican chips tend to taste better:
- They are fried in fresh oil, often lard or vegetable oil, which imparts flavor.
- Corn tortillas have a naturally sweet and nutty taste.
- Authentic Mexican chips use high quality ingredients like nixtamalized corn.
- Varieties like chicharrones have a light, airy texture that absorbs toppings well.
- Mexicans don’t shy away from bold flavors and spices in their cuisine.
- The chips are usually made fresh and served right away. Stale chips lose their signature crunch.
Chilindrinas represent the diverse flavors and creativity of Mexican street food. This snack is endlessly customizable – play around with different protein fillings, vegetable toppings, and garnishes to create your own signature version. Try serving it for your next game day spread or as an appetizer at your next dinner party. The combination of tastes and textures is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Whichever way you choose to enjoy chilindrinas, stay true to their street food roots. Use fresh, quality ingredients and don’t shy away from bold seasonings. The crispy base, tangy slaw, creamy drizzle, and spice is what makes this iconic Mexican snack so crave-worthy. With this easy homemade recipe, you can bring all the vibrancy of authentic chilindrinas into your own kitchen.